Tuesday 1 May 2012

My thoughts...

Okay, so here it goes. I've been building up to this post for the majority of my designated prayer time by reading other people's great posts; some very personable, some very positive and reflective and by listening to music and looking at photos of our time in Ghana: Of the Volunteers, of the children, of the red soil and the landscapes. And it makes you think. I wonder what they are doing now? What clothes they are wearing today? Are they Happy? Are they sad? as Sister Danni put it: the people by God's grace are happy: Something that couldn't go unnoticed were the smiles apparent on everyones faces as you walked through the village.

(Bare with me: I'm not really sure where this one is going?) Like Danni Prayer isn't something I really do or know how to do. In church I would just kind of kneel there wondering what everyone else was praying for? What's for lunch? That kind of thing. And I guess I came to realise prayers do work when we first got to the Orphanage and saw the Tro Tro for the first time. The larger bodies of volunteers crammed in with children and everyone's luggage made an impressive game of real life tetris. Having seen the state of the roads, or shall we say mud tracks and the driver's unconcern for the highway code it was going to take a miracle to get to Santrokofi unharmed. And I remember Auntie Agnes popped her head through the window to say a prayer for us the volunteers and the children's safety and may God watch over us as we make our journey. And I found myself agreeing with this prayer and how lovely it was to be apart of it all.  

And what do you know we made it safely. And I know every night that we were away that Auntie Agnes would be making a prayer for our safety all the way until our flights back. And I bet they still are praying for us everyday, which actually is something that I've just thought about for the first time as I type these words - which is pretty special. I think everyone touched each other's lifes in ways that are too difficult or unjust to even put into words - it's a feeling.

Finally I will talk about something which I picked up upon when I was over there. Actually only having spent my time now thinking I see it a bit differently. When we were there they would call us their brother or their sister and we would call each other those words. I always thought we were like a family out there especially among the volunteers but really in their culture I think they just embraced us and brought us into their lives and hearts and it's not about being black or white or from England or Ghana everyone is seen as the same. Maybe that's what it was. But it's something amazing to be a part of. And I will end it on - I'm not really sure what to pray for but if it was for one thing it would be the continued happiness which I think kind of incorporates many things like being content, and having enough food, getting education. So Happiness it is.

Lets keep up this good work people.


No comments:

Post a Comment