Tuesday 1 May 2012

Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning.” - Gandhi


I am not a person who prays. Sure, I've "prayed" before, at school, on rollercoasters, sang hymns at weddings. But I've never really really prayed. I have never considered myself a Christian. I do believe in something higher than us. I am spiritual. I believe good things happen to good people, that if you are good then good things will happen to you. When I heard about the plan for a 24 hour prayer, I must admit my initial reaction was...I don't pray, I can't pray, I can't do that. Then I came across Gandhi's quote (above), and it all clicked into place.

Today I am putting my first ever real honest true prayers out there for the Raising Hope Foundation and the children of Sogakope and Santrokofi.

The RHF has changed my life. The children and the orphanage are my total motivation. Since my first incredible meeting with them in the summer of 2010 I have been proactive fundraising, spreading the word about their plight, our goals and achievements as a charity. I've babbled at every possible opportunity about how these wonderful, awe-inspiring children laugh and smile and are just so full of light and life despite the horrible backgrounds and struggles they deal with every day. I will continue to fight for them, fundraise to provide them with a roof over their heads, an education, the love and care they deserve....

...Just, until now, I haven't offered anything to them spiritually, and that's going to change today.


I pray that God may bless the children of Santrokofi and Sogakope, today and every day. Fill them with hope, because hope and faith will guide them to believe that they can do anything they put their hearts to, and be anything they want to be. I pray that they be kept safe from harm until the orphanage is complete.

I pray that the RHF be blessed in their continuing work in Santrokofi, and that the volunteers be filled with encouragement and determination to raise the funds to complete the orphanage this year. I pray that they be protected and blessed during their trip to Ghana this summer.

I pray for Agnes, whose incredible love and faith in the children just blows me away. I pray that she receive guidance every day in supporting the children, that she remains in good health and that everything she needs to nurture herself and the children be provided for.

I pray for Emile and the builders. May they be filled with strength as they complete the orphanage in Santrokofi.

I pray that the Living Faith Foundation board be strong in the face of challenges.

I pray for Sister Kinza. You are a continuing inspiration to me. May you be blessed and loved and protected by God in everything you do. Without you, none of this would even be.

And finally, I pray for the parents of the children, who have brought such wonderful, beautiful loving individuals into this world. Because they have made me a better person with their love and their laughter and the light that radiates from them, and I thank God for providing me with the opportunity to have them in my life. I am truly truly blessed.

The RHF is my family. I love each and every one of you and I am absolutely honoured to be a part of this.

I can  <3



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your truly inspirational and honest prayer. Many of us can share the same prayer. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Zoe, this gives me goosebumps. For someone who has never properly prayed before... you are a natural. This prayer is brilliant. Zoe, I honestly believe that there are angles in heaven dancing with joy that you prayed this beautiful prayer tonight. God bless you. Kinza xx

    ReplyDelete